Friday, November 4, 2011

Fixing skin in Vue imported from Daz

One of the first things I noticed when exporting my character from Daz to Vue, was that the skin looked really bad! my characters looked like made of plastic.  

I looked at this tutorial "OPTIMIZING POSER & OTHER ITEMS FOR VUE"  and found great information with useful tips! 

On this post I just highlight quickly what i need to remember to set up next time I import. If you want to read more detailed all the useful things they have over there, I really recommend it. But for now ill put here the quick list for what I have done. I have tweaked to what works for me so feel free to do what you think works best for your models and your scenes.


On Material Editor for EACH skin material :
  1. Highlight color to WHITE
  2. check Variable Highlights - Edit Function - Link Highlight to map (grayscale)
  3. set Global Intensity and Global Size to 10%
  4. Bump - Edit Function - Link Bump to texture map (grayscale) - Depth to 0.01

For the lips (after applying the previous changes:
  1.  Change the Overall Color to the tone you want (in a very light tone)
  2. set Global Intensity to 80% and Global Size to 50%
For the face and neck I use Global Intensity at 35% Looks nicer I think.

Don't mind the quality, left is on ultra and right is on broadcast.


RENDER QUALITY

One more thing I'll add here is the comparison of the quality of the renders, so you can choose  what works best. The renders were the same size (the full image not the strips I show) and the time in the image is how long it took to render, so you can compare quality versus time. Those images were rendered before Skin adjustments. Actually no material adjustments at all.


*I* personally dont think the quality difference between broadcast and Ultra is that huge (at least for my hobby purposes) and I dont think its worth 3 times the time. but every once in a while its nice rendering the full quality. You choose.

Anyways, have fun!